Tuesday, 19 October 2010

AE

"Admit it. You're falling for me, aren't you?"
"Am not! I barely know you."
"That's true, because if you did, you'd know that I am."
"You are what?"
"Falling for you."

***


And that's how we really started. Sure, I've seen him several times. A friend of a friend. Occasional crossing of paths. Each time I'd go out in the weekends, I'd be aware of his presence but I'd never acknowledge it. He was two years older than me. I was a sophomore, he was a senior. It wouldn't work.

On a regular Thursday night, my friends decided to take me out to this club for a little pick me up. Something to get my mind off my disastrous heartbreak. I was in no mood to go, but they were going to play my favorite music and it wouldn't hurt to ease off the pain with some booze. We're in the middle of the dancefloor, having a laugh and enjoying the music... until I see the very cause of my heartbreak walk in with another girl. 

No amount of alcohol could prepare me for that. I knew it was a bad idea to go out. I knew it was too soon. I stomped off, unable to be anywhere within a 10m radius of the two. Outside of the club was surprisingly quiet, everyone was having fun inside. I appreciated the solitude. It gave me room to think. And that's when I started crying.

I was too preoccupied that I didn't notice this guy from my school out there, too. He gave me a puzzled look and I was really not in the mood for this so showed him the middle finger. All he did was chuckle which only aggravated me more so I told him, "What's your problem?" and he just shook his head.

He left and came back with a box of tissues. I asked him where he got it. He said he went to buy it from the nearest drugstore. I asked him why. He said he thought I might need it. I told him I didn't need his sympathy. He told me he couldn't see a beautiful girl cry.

So I gave in, took the box of tissues, dried my tears and sat down. We talked for a good 20 minutes. It was refreshing to talk to a stranger. He didn't judge me. He asked no questions. Man, the guy was a great listener! He brought me to this secluded area in the city and my god it was beautiful! It was an old church with a bench near a huge tree. He told me to lie by the grass next to him, I obeyed. We counted the stars. I pointed out constellations. We made some up together. The next morning, I realised that I had fallen asleep in his arms.




...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment