Monday, 18 July 2011

"You Can Do Better"

That phrase. That short sentence. Harmless at first. In fact, it can be taken as a compliment when blind to the deeper meaning. That phrase... it drives me mad. People can keep telling you, "Oh, Elida. You can do much better." or "Well, personally I think you deserve better."

But all I want to ask them is, "Oh really? Where is this 'better' person? I don't hear anybody knocking on my door. And if I can do so much 'better', why do I only get people who you supposedly think aren't 'good enough' for me?"

Which then leads me to my next question... what is considered better? A better personality? Better looking?  How do you know this person isn't good enough for me? 

It's the worst thing you can say to a person. For the last 2 months or so, I keep getting that thrown at me. So one night, when I decided that I will no longer sit back and take it... I asked these two guys (both of which I could potentially be interested in), "Okay, if I can do so much better, why won't you guys go for me?"

...

Silence.

As soon as they had trouble answering that, I knew their argument was invalid. Which just leads me to the conclusion that... no. I cannot do so much better. This is as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment